How many times have you been out on the golf course feeling frustrated because your golf clubs are stuck in a cluttered mess and you’ve got no idea where the golf club that you need is. Knowing how to organize a golf bag can alleviate this concern and take away frustration for those who are just starting out in the world of golf.
Golfers need to have a well-organized golf bag, or else they risk forgetting their clubs in the rough or spending time looking for the right one. But knowing how to organize a golf bag can be difficult without knowing what the setup of an actual golf bag is.
In this guide, we will give you tips on everything from where to put your clubs to how you should arrange them most efficiently and effectively. This will help you with excelling on the course and having a clear mind on each and every shot.
How To Organize A Golf Bag
Organizing your golf bag involves setting up your clubs so that they provide easy access to each golf club when needed. A well-organized golf bag will have a standard layout and will group golf clubs by type into their respective dividers.
It also involves good storage of other equipment such as golf balls, tees and other items such as a rain jacket. The last thing you want to be doing out on the golf course is struggling to find your equipment.
Being organized is the key to good golf and will allow you to have clarity whilst you are out there on the golf course.
The steps that needs to be taken that we go into more detail about below are the following: Emptying your golf ball, sorting the clubs, placing common items such as golf balls and tees in accessible pockets and then placing valuables and accessories in smaller or less visible pockets.
Setting Up A Golf Bag By Type
How To Organize A 14 Slot Golf Bag
A 14 Way golf bag allows the golfer to organize their clubs in a more specific manner, as each club will have its own designated space within the bag. It also helps to protect the clubs from banging against each other while you are playing.
This can be helpful for those who like to keep their clubs organized and want easy access to their putter while on the green.
Additionally, this style of golf bag typically has more storage space than a traditional 6 way golf bag, making it a good option for those who like to bring along plenty of gear when they hit the links.
One way to organize a 14-way bag is by loft, with the low-loft clubs on one side of the bag and high-loft clubs on the other.
You can also group your golf clubs together in the relevant slots with your hybrids together with your long irons and your putters together with your short irons.
There is no right or wrong answer but a well organized 14 way divider golf bag can save time on the golf course.
Pros Of A 14 Way Bag
- Protection: The 14-way golf bag is great for protecting your clubs against damage. With each club having its own designated space in the bag, it’s much less likely that they will bang into each other and become damaged.
- Less Noise: Another pro of the 14-way golf bag is that it makes less noise than traditional bags with more dividers. This can be helpful when trying to minimize distractions while playing.
- Easy To Find Clubs: Another benefit of the 14-way golf bag is that it is easy to find the club you are looking for, as each one has its own specific place in the bag. This can be helpful when playing in low light conditions or during a quick round.
Cons Of A 14 Way Bag
- More Weight: One downside to the 14-way golf bag is that it is typically heavier than the traditional 6 way golf bag. This can make it more difficult to carry when walking long distances.
- More Expensive: Finally, another downside to the 14-way golf bag is that it tends to be more expensive than other options on the market.
Takeaway: 14 way golf bags are a great way to protect your clubs and allow for easy separation of each golf club in the bag.
How To Organize A 6 Way Golf Bag
A 6 Way bag is a type of bag is ideal for beginner and intermediate golfers because it still helps keep your clubs organized and makes it easier to find the club you need.
A six-way golf bag is a great option for those who want something that is lightweight and easy to carry around while still getting general club protection.
If you’re looking for an easy-to-carry golf bag that will help to protect your clubs, then a six-way option may be perfect for you.
To arrange a 6 Way golf bag you should place all of your woods together, then place your hybrids together with your irons. For longer shots this can be helpful to have all of your related clubs in one general area.
Your wedges and putters should go in the very bottom of the bag to make short game access easier.
This is a basic layout that will help you find the club you need quickly and easily while on the golf course.
Pros Of A 6 Way Bag
- Flexible: A pro of the 6-way golf bag is that it is flexible and can be used by a variety of golfers. This makes it a good option for those who are not sure which type of bag they want or for those who want to use it as a backup bag.
- Lightweight: Another advantage of the 6-way golf bag is that it is typically lightweight, making it easy to carry when you’re on the go.
Cons Of A 6 Way Bag
- Basic Organization: One downside to the 6-way golf bag is that it doesn’t offer as much club organization as other options on the market. This can make it difficult to find the club you need if you’re not familiar with the layout of the bag.
- No Protection: Another con of the 6-way golf bag is that it does not offer club protection, which can lead to damage over time.
Takeaway: A 6 way slot bag will allow for basic organization of your golf clubs but offer less protection than a 14 divider system.
How To Organize A 4 Way Golf Bag
A 4 way golf bag is a great option for golfers who don’t carry too many clubs.
The dividers make it easy to have basic organization for your clubs, and the light weight makes it easy to carry around the course.
If you are looking for a compact golf bag with basic club organization, then a 4-way golf bag may be the perfect option for you.
The main focus when organizing a 4 way golf bag is around grouping like clubs together.
For example, all of your woods can be placed in one area, then all of your long irons can be placed together, and your wedges and putters can go in the very bottom of the bag.
This basic layout will help you find the club you need quickly by shot type.
Pros Of A 4 Way Bag
- Lightweight: One pro of the 4-way golf bag is that it is very lightweight, making it easy to carry when you’re on the go.
- Cheaper: Another advantage of the 4-way golf bag is that it tends to be a cheaper bag for golf than other options on the market so it’s a great option for those on a budget.
Cons Of A 4 Way Bag
- Limited Organization: One downside to the 4-way golf bag is that it doesn’t offer as much club organization as other options. This can make it difficult to find the club you need if you’re not familiar with the layout of the bag.
- No Protection: Another downside to the 4-way golf bag is that it does not offer club protection, which can lead to damage over time and more quickly than with other options.
- Bag Materials: A final con of the 4-way golf bag is that it is often made out of cheaper materials, which may not be as durable as other options.
Takeaway: A 4 Way golf bag is the most basic setup and provides a simple organization system when setting up the golf bag.
How To Fill Your Golf Bag
Beyond the golf clubs that you arrange, it’s important to know how to properly fill your golf bag.
Begin by packing any accessories you might need, such as gloves, tees, and a ball retriever into smaller side pockets. You will also want to store items such as your phone and car keys into the valuables pockets.
Next, add in a few changes of apparel in case of inclement weather into the larger pockets (It would also be worth it to make sure that your golf bag is waterproof in this case). Be sure to pack both light and heavy options so that you’re prepared for anything as you don’t want to get caught out on the golf course.
Finally, fill up the front of the bag with golf balls so that you always have easy access should the worst case happen and you lose any during your round.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Many Dividers Do Golf Bags Come With?
Golf bags can come with several different dividers (GolfWRX). Each bag will be different but a beginner bag would have 4 dividers at the top. They will be divided between a two full length dividers at the front and back of the golf bag with a split divider in the middle of the bag. A professional golfer may have more dividers in their bag.
Where Should I Store Golf Balls In A Golf Bag?
It is worth ensuring that golf balls are in an easy to access location in a cart bag. This is because there is a good chance that you may need spares during a round of golf. A good location to store golf balls in a golf bag would be in the front pockets.
How Many Clubs Are Allowed In A Golf Bag?
The number of golf clubs allowed is a maximum of fourteen golf clubs under the official regulations. You can carry less than this but would be penalized in official competition for carrying over 14.
In Summary: Which Is The Best Golf Bag Setup For Arranging Clubs & Accessories?
It is well worth taking the time to understand how to organize a golf bag correctly. Taking good care is a great way to ensure that your golf equipment will be durable and save money in the long run.
It is also worth noting that some top-end golf bags such as the Sun Mountain C130 or the Founders Club premium bag help by providing comprehensive divider systems to help with better organization of your golf clubs.
Additionally, there are numerous benefits that you will see and feel when you are out on the course. These range from being able to get to your golf clubs quicker, making less mistakes in golf club selection as well as having access to key items that you may need to grab quickly such as spare golf balls or a rain jacket.